Saturday, September 25, 2010

Highland Fling 5K

I just found this picture David took on his i phone. This is Ethan and I right after finishing the Highland Fling 5K this summer. David and I were so proud of Ethan. He trained all summer for this race and then took 2nd place in his age group. Way to go Ethan!
But I have to give credit where credit is due. It all started with his 12 year old check up. Dr. Mumford challenged Ethan to run in the Highland fling 5K. He told Ethan how important it is to exercise regularly. He explained the importance of working up a sweat at least 3 times a week. He told Ethan that he himself likes to run and every summer he and his family run in the Highland fling 5K together. He told Ethan that if he ran in the Highland fling 5K he would give him a 5 dollar bill at the finish line. This was an intriguing offer to Ethan and he agreed right then and their that he would run it. And that's how it all began. Ethan then participated in the Fleet Feet kids running class all summer long to train. And on race day, in deed Dr. Mumford was their at the finish line and gave Ethan a crisp 5 dollar bill. And then went on to extended Ethan a new offer. He told Ethan that if he runs the Highland fling 5K next year and if he beats his time and runs it under 40 min. he will give him a 10 dollar bill! Ethan told him it was a deal.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate Dr. Mumford and the personal interest he takes in his patients. What a wonderful man. I also can't tell you how wonderful it is to watch as your child blossoms from a boy to a man. Ethan has changed as much in this last year as he had in the first year of his life. He's a whole new person! He's responsible, he's not afraid of hard work, he's more than willing to help out where needed, he's becoming social, he makes good choices, he's a nice person, he loves school, he's getting great grades, he's willing to try new things, and Jr. High looks at though it agrees with him! We couldn't be more proud of Ethan right now!
One more thing I want to say about running. I have decided that the #1 benefit to running is what it does for you mentally. When you go out and do something that's hard... when you train, you push through the pain, and then when you accomplish your goal, your mind then knows that YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS! And everything else is downhill. Ethan this summer has gone from doing absolutely nothing to running in not just 1 but 2 5k's! This kid can do anything he puts his mind to and HE NOW KNOWS IT!!!!
THANK YOU RUNNING for all you do for me and my family!
I truly love you!

1 comment:

The Hendricks Family said...

Way to go Ethan!!! I am going to have my kids read this post. What a great young man.