Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ragnar

I've been training for the Wasatch Ragnar Relay for quite some time now. The "Ragnar" is a running race that starts in Logan, UT. and ends in Park City, UT. Each team has 12 runners and 2 vehicles. It starts early Friday morning and finishes up on Saturday at some point in the day. Everybody that I know that has ran the Ragnar in the past has said, "it's a blast!"
I have a friend that was in my ward in Phoenix. She moved here to Utah before David and I did. She has taken up running just like I have and asked if I would be interested in running with her in the Ragnar this year. I said yes and have been looking forward to the challenge ever since. I was given the task of being runner #3. Runner 3 runs 5.6 miles in her first leg of the race. 4.9 miles in her second leg of the race. And then finishes her legs with a HARD 7.9 mile run made up of HILLS! For a total of 18.4 miles. I have totally been up for the challenge! I have been doing a half marathon training program increasing my mileage every Saturday trying the incorporate hills. {I hate hills!}
Running the Ragnar isn't a cheap race to run. It costs 90 something dollars to be on the team. Then you have to pay for team apparel, your hotel stay, gift cards for team volunteers, and your portion of the gas. Not to mention a reflective vest, blinking flashy lights and a head lamp for safety. It all just sorta adds up!
Well my friend, the only person I know on this 12 man team had the opportunity of adopting her 9th child. Her cute little boy was born May 16th and now she's a mother of a sweet newborn baby! Which means she's up all night long and exhausted! Her running regiment has been placed on hold for the time being and she gracefully bowed out of the race. While I couldn't be happier for her and her new baby all I kept thinking to myself is, "I don't know anyone on the team now!" "WOW that's a lot of money to spend to go party all night long with a bunch of strangers!" "Do I really want to do this?" Not to mention that this Elite Lacrosse team that Carsten just made is playing in a tournament in Park City the same weekend. David booked a hotel for the family and I'm going to have to miss it!
So the question I had to ask myself was, do I make the best of it and run it anyways? Thinking to myself, "I'm sure I'll meet a lot of nice people and surely I'll have some fun, RIGHT?" Or do I drop out of the race and go to Park City with my family?
Well I finally decided to drop out! I won't get my 90 something dollars back but I wont have to drop anymore money down either. My heart is sad and relieved all at the same time. It's not like me to drop out of a challenge such as this but I'm sure glad that I'll be able to hang with my family and friends in Park City for the weekend. The team found me a replacement in no time and now there isn't a REAL purpose to train. So I had better find a new race to run in the near future so that I'll get my butt of bed to pound the pavement. Oh the tangles web I weave!
Anyways I've come down with something and I have been sicker than a dog the last few days which is leaving me feeling relieved more than ever for my decision to drop out of the race. Right now I'm just hoping I'll feel good enough to have an enjoyable time in Park City this weekend!

2 comments:

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

UMMMM...aren't your running a marathon October 1st...with your sister???

Jody said...

Love your new family picture!