Monday, June 9, 2008

ER visit


Early Sunday morning I took Talan to the Emergency Room.  He had been up for hours coughing, struggling to breath, throwing up and just not feeling well.  I packed him into his car seat and drove him down to the hospital after much debate about weather or not I should go.  By the time I got to the hospital he had finally calmed down and fallen asleep.  
CLASSIC!  Of course this would happen!  He was breathing just fine, he had no temperature and he was looking fairly healthy!  Now what do I do?  Do I go in and pay a $100.00 co-pay to have him looked at, or do I just go home and hope that he continues to do well.  Well, I decided that I had better have him checked out.  
They did a chest X-ray and found that he had fluid in his lungs but it didn't look serious.  They gave him a breathing treatment and sent him home.  Just before going home I noticed that his soft spot on his head was bulging.  I called a Doctor over to look at it and he said that he didn't know why it would be like that and told me to have his pediatrician look at it the next day when I took him in for his follow up visit.  When I got home from the ER, I got on-line to see what it said about bulging soft spots.  It said that it's a sign of meningitis.  SCARY!  So today I got him in for a follow up visit and the Doctor said that his soft spot was still squishy and so it's fine.  Since our ER visit, Talan has developed a fever.  The Doctor checked his ears and said that they looked like that were getting red.  So he either has an ear infection or a sinus infection brewing.  He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us on our way.  
It's  sad to see Talan not feeling well.  His eyes are all watery and his nose is running.  His checks are bright red and he has been sleeping a lot today.  Poor little guy!  Anyways, I think that it's hard to know what to do all the time with our little ones.  I would hate to let it go too long and have a simple illness turn  severe, yet it's a little embarrassing when you take them in too soon and you look like an over protective mother.  I guess it's better to be safe and over protective than sorry!  

5 comments:

The Hendricks Family said...

I am sorry to hear that Talan isn't feeling well, poor little thing. You just have to go with your gut feeling always even if it makes you look over protective. The gut feelings are usually right. Good Luck!

Sabra said...

How's he doin' now?

Anonymous said...

I hope babe is doing better. That always happens to me when my kids are sick. You take them to the ER and by the time you get there they don't seem as bad. I love ya and miss you tons.

Stephanie said...

Talan is doing much better now. We are on the mend!

Jane Clark said...

It is so hard to have sick kids especially in the night. I always hate trying to decide if they really need to be checked out or if I am just paranoid. I always take them in because peace of mind is worth every peice of the rock! :)