Sunday, July 26, 2009

Reeder Shimai


Haws Shimai and Reeder Shimai 4/13/95

My mission companion Reeder Shimai came to visit me a few weeks ago.  She now goes by the name of Denise Daniel, however I think she will always be Reeder Shimai to me!
It was a lot of fun getting caught up on what's gone on in our lives over the past 14 years.  It was amazing to find out that our lives have many parallels.
We were both married around the same time.  Our first born were both born on the exact same day.  Our husbands both work in the financial industry.  We both have 5 kids.  I have 4 boys and 1 girl and she has 4 girls and 1 boy.  Not to mention that when she came over to visit, we were both wearing the same color shirt!  
SpOoKy!  
We are living very similar lives on opposite ends of the country.  She lives in New York, just a 30 minuet subway ride from Manhattan.  I've always said, it's good to have friends in fun places! 

Reeder was my second companion in my second area in Japan.  We lived in Ibaraki.  I was her last companion before she went home which means (in missionary talk) I killed her!  We survived the Kobe earthquake together along with lots of good times.  

A few things to remember: 
Eikaiwa, Sport Night, Chirashi dendo, White Day, Burnt Bagels, Osaka Sumo Tournament, Hard Rock Cafe, Face plant bicycle crash (by Reeder), James Taylor concert and Ricks Choro, Mugi in the mornings, The Chiropractor, Fuller Choro (My Arizona brother) and last but not least..."The Beast!" compliments of Matsumoto Shimai.  Along with lots of teaching appointments, bicycle rides and helmet hair!
Good times had by all!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Way cool!

(I sent you a FB msg about the 10K.)

Staci Kramer said...

Steph! You are a babe! You look so fit and tan and I love your highlighted hair. I would sure love to see you in person. I have been missing you and your family.

How fun to be reunited with Reeder Shimai. There is nothing like a missionary campanion friend. I think you have to have been on a mission to really understand the bond.