Sunday, February 7, 2010

Charles' Funeral


As we were headed into the Chapel my sister in law Cheryl volunteered to take Talan for us. What a life saver she was. It was so nice to enjoy the funeral and not have to deal with our terrible 2 year old the whole time.

The funeral went really well.
Kerry gave the family prayer.
Charlie Kay gave the life sketch.
Each of the 5 boys told memories of their dad.
The Grands and Great Grands sang.
Teresa spoke about the Plan of Salvation.
Kendall and Karl gave prayers.
And David dedicated the grave.

After the funeral service we all headed outside as the Casket Bearers prepared to carry the casket. It was actually sort of cold outside, almost like a real winter day.

On the left side of the casket: Karl, Charlie Kay, and Tyson (Grandson).
On the right side of the casket: Kendall, David, and Kerry.


What I love most about funerals is that they are really just impromptu family reunions! So many people upon hearing of Charles death jumped in their cars and drove hundreds of miles to be there. So much fun!

This is 2 of Jeannine's brothers, Harry and Everett. From the looks of it we might just be having a few more of these impromptu reunions in the near future.

A few of the "life of the party" kind of people. Tara and Tona are David's cousins and Aunt Mel is married to Virgil.

Dave Chandler, Virgil, and Stacey
Dave was married to David's cousin Marveen who passed away this last summer. Virgil is David's Uncle and Jeannine's brother, Stacey is Virgil's son.

I love this picture!
This is how it is whenever Stacey is around. Lots of laughs and good times!

I love this picture too!
My mom and dad are the absolute best! They support David and I in all we do.

And yet another picture that I love! David and his mom. Too cute! And look at that cute outfit Jeannine is wearing. I helped her pick it out. It's important to look and feel your best when going to your husbands funeral!

The Turleys and J.R. Langston. David's lifelong friends.

At the Mesa City Cemetery.

All the little ones wanted to be by Grandma.

Suzette, Tom, Anitta, and Russell
Russell and Suzette are a few of our favorite people.
Russell and David are like brothers to each other.

David dedicating the grave.
He did a wonderful job!

Bunkers Mortuary presenting Jeannine with the United States flag.
This was extra special to Jeannine because when Charles worked for Bunkers he was responsible for the flags. He ordered them and had them pressed and ready for services.

The mini Slade reunion.
They came from Navada, Utah and Hawaii to be there.

What a sweetie!
Reagan holding a rose from the flower spray upon the casket.

What a good looking family!
All of us minus Talan.

Jeannine and her next door neighbor Patsy Dodge.
These two have been next door neighbors and friends for 57 years.

I find everything about funerals to be special. Everything we do is to show love and honor for whom has passed on. There's a sacredness to it all. It's that last physical act of service we can preform here on earth for whom we love so dear. I'm so glad that we chose to be there in Charles' final moments. I'm so glad that David had the opportunity to go through that experience of death with his dad. I'm glad he was able to dress him, talk at his funeral, and dedicate his grave. I feel like it was all a privilege.

No comments: