Wednesday, April 18, 2012

14, 12, 10, 8, 4

I once heard long ago that EVEN years are harder than ODD years when it comes to raising children. And I'm beginning to be a full fledged believer in this theory! I've got a 14, 12, 10, an almost 8 and 4 year old. And this year more than any other I swear they are testing me. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely, I'm just feeling a little more stretched than ever before. The demands for my personal attention is just a little more than I think I'm capable of giving! I'm feeling a serious need for my children to be more self reliant. Or at least a little less clingy to me and perhaps a little more clingy to their dad!  I do enjoy watching my kids grow up! They are all in their own stage of life learning different things and BECOMING!  Every day brings something new and I never know what they are going to say or think up next.  Just to give a little example of this, here are a few of the latest things the little ones have said.

Reagan... She has always loved journal writing at school. She's always looking for things she could write about. Something will happen and she'll say, "I know what I'm going to write about in my journal tomorrow!" Well the other morning while she was getting ready for school she asked me, "Are you and dad ever going to get divorced?" I told her "NO!" And then I asked her why she would ask such a question. She got a little smile on her face and said that if we got divorced then she could write it in her journal. And then if Talan and her were the only ones to live with me then we would be just like her teacher at school because Ms. Cox is divorced and she just has a little girl and a little boy. And then she went on to say that after I got divorced then I could get remarried to someone with lots of kids and then she would have lots of brothers and sisters and her family would be really big! This absolutely floored me! I talked to her about how that would NOT be good and I then walked away thinking, "WHAT IN THE HECK?"

Talan... He seriously says some of the funniest things. Last night he was being really mean to Reagan. He was pouncing on her in a more hurtful than fun kind of way! You know, kind of like brothers do. She started to cry and came to tell me that Talan was being REALLY mean! I told Talan that he needed to STOP being mean! He looked at me and said, "But I said I'm sorry!" I told him that I would like for him to be nice so that he wouldn't have to say sorry. He than said, "My brain wants to say YES, but my heart says NO!" WHAT? What is that suppose to mean? Who teaches this kid this stuff?


1 comment:

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

Now that is some journal entry. :)
Unfortunately it sounds like something my kids would say...it seems like divorce is all they know. Their dad and I, both of their step parents, three sets of Aunts and Uncles...and on and on. I remember Gavin asking my Brother in law once who HIS first wife was...as if everyone had one. It killed me.
Her journal one day will be about how lucky she is to have parents who love each other, care for each other, aren't selfish and self-centered...one day she will write about that!
Good job mom and dad!