Friday, June 6, 2008

Microwave cooking 101


Last night Ethan decided to make himself some Top Roman.  In scouts they are learning how to plan and prepare meals and to take care of themselves.  He has prepared a meal plan for himself for next week which includes having Top Roman for lunch everyday!  He knows how to make Top Roman all by himself  in the microwave which is a wonderful thing for me because this means that I don't have to help him with it or do it for him.   He got his Top Roman ready and put it in the microwave and then came in to the other room to chit chat with David and I.  A few minuets later he went back into the kitchen to check on his Top Roman.  He came running back in screaming, "I forgot the water!"  I didn't realize what he meant by this until I went into the kitchen to find smoke billowing out of the microwave. He forgot to put water in with the Roman noodles prior to putting it into the microwave.  The Roman was black and the plastic bowl he was cooking it in had a whole in it and the house was filled with smoke and smelled horrible!  
We quickly opened all the doors and windows in the house and did everything we could think of to fix the smell.  David cleaned out the microwave with Clorox bleach, I sprayed air freshener throughout the house and we aired out the house for hours.  The upstairs smelled so bad that the kids had to sleep in the basement and this morning it still reeks terribly!  I have gone to the store and bought Febreze and have sprayed that everywhere too!  Now our house smells like a cheap hotel!  
These are the priceless lessons in microwave cooking 101!  I'm pretty sure that Ethan will never forget the water again!  Ethan feels bad for the horrible smell he has created.  We are very greatful that Ethan went back into the kitchen to check on his Top Roman or else it could have been much worst.  Having a cheap smelling hotel house is a lot better than a burnt down one.

3 comments:

Mathie Fam said...

That's sad and funny at the same time. Once Lindsay went to rewarm her food in the microwave, and she accidentally left her metal retainer on the plate. There was sparking and fire in the microwave. My mom didn't laugh!

Sabra said...

On one hand you want your kids to self reliant but on the other hand you want your house to remain standing! What gives?

The Hendricks Family said...

I love the independence of children, unfortunately it usally comes with a price at our home.