Monday, October 3, 2011

Lil' RED Running Hoods!

I ran in my first relay race!

The Red Rock Relay was September 9th and 10th.
I was on a team made up of 12 female runners. We were divided up into 2 vans and each of us ran 3 legs of the race. The race started at Brian Head Ski Resort just outside of Cedar City, UT. and ended at Zions National Park. The race was 174 miles long lasting 2 days. It was an amazing adventure!

My friend Wendy Barron invited me to run on her team. Wendy and I were in the same ward in Phoenix years ago. We have both since moved to Utah and taken up running. Wendy was the only person I knew on our team. But luckily for me, I don't have any problems making friends!

Our team name was
Lil' RED Running Hoods!


One of the girls on our team that was in van #2
made the cutest cookies for all of us.

My friend Wendy was Runner #1. {She's the one in the middle.} The start of the race was at the top of Brian Head. She took a 20 min. ski lift ride to get to the top. Once at the top the race began!

I was Runner #3
So I ran legs 3, 15, and 27.

My first leg was 8.4 miles long and according to the guide map it was considered to be hard, but it was all downhill. Here is what the guide map said exactly...

LEG #3
“CEDAR DISCO BREAK”

Description: The Cedar Breaks National Monument and scenic over looks surround this leg. Runners will run a slight decline on their way past some of the most beautiful Red Rock vistas known to man. Team vans and runners should be sure to take some time to breathe the mountain air and enjoy this part of the RRR journey!
Safety: Fairly low traffic with a good shoulder to run on. Continue to be aware of oxygen levels. You are still running at 10k feet!

So this is all the warning I received to train for this little MONSTER! And let me start by saying that the first 1 1/2 miles was straight UPHILL! And the rest of the 7 miles had some decline but it was definitely NOT all downhill! And when they speak of oxygen levels... They weren't kidding! 10 thousand feet is a killer to breath in!

Notice the INCLINE!
Oh and don't forget to notice some of
the most beautiful Red Rock Vistas known to man!

I'll be perfectly honest... I was sucking wind so bad {weather I was running up or downhill} that I wasn't noticing anything beautiful!

Once again... INCLINE!!!
So nice to have picture proof of my misery!

But I have to say that it was still kind of fun at the same time. My support van would drive up a mile or two and then get out to cheer me on. And a girl from my ward was on a team racing close with us and so they would cheer me on too! I had like double the support! Well right up until my friends MOM passed me! They call that a KILL. Some vans keep track of how many people they "KILL". Our van didn't keep track. But I kept track of my own. It was super easy! I had 2 kills TOTAL! And I wont mention how many times I was KILLED!

Here's our van!

In this picture I'm passing off to Krista after completing Leg #15.
Leg #15 started right at dusk and it was a 4.6 mile run and considered to be a medium level of difficulty.

LEG #15
“DESERT SOLITUDE”

Description: A hundred years ago, prospectors wandered these lands looking for GOLD... you’ll wander them looking for an energy bar & an adrenaline high. The first half is up (summit at 2.3 miles) and the second half is down. The exchange is located at the bottom of the hill at a 4 way intersection.
Safety: Extremely low traffic, possible cattle guards or uneven surfaces.

If this leg was really 1/2 uphill and 1/2 downhill, the uphill part felt A LOT LONGER than the downhill part! Just saying!

After we passed off to Van #2 we headed up to our next van exchange. There were literally hundreds of people in sleeping bags lying in the grass around an LDS church house trying to get a little rest.

#1... I'm not a good sleeping bag sleeper.
#2... I'm not good at falling asleep amongst hundreds of other people. Some of which were not sleeping however they were yelling in a whisper "Running with scissors?" "Running with scissors?" Not to mention the team at my feet that decided to make themselves a hot breakfast with like a little camping stove or something!
Which brings me to point #3... I think I maybe got about 30 minutes of sleep! And something I learned about not sleeping at my age... It causes nausea! Weird huh? And to answer your question... No I didn't throw up!

So... my last leg was just 2.56 miles long and quite EASY!!!
I began my run just as the sun began to rise.

LEG #27
“CANYON OVERLOOK”

Description: After your hand off, you will jump on the running trail adjacent to hwy 18. This has some crazy rollers and crazy views of the canyon. Just look to the right and behold nature’s majesty! The total elevation drop on this baby is around 1k feet so be ready to blaze these 2.5 miles.
Safety: Extremely low traffic, on path. Be aware of potential poor visibility due to early morning hours.

I did it!
I completed all 3 legs of my runs equaling 15 1/2 miles.

Van #1 from left to right
Tania, Krista, Tammie, Laura,Wendy and Stephanie.

And the entire team at the finish line... minus 2!
We finished the race in 33 hours and 27 minutes.

GO LIL" RED RUNNING HOODS!

1 comment:

Sabra said...

You guys are so awesome! I am impressed.