Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pioneer Day Classic 2009


After we got done running in the Freedom Run this year we decided that we needed to run again! I wanted to run in a 10K (Don't ask me why, I've thought about it over and over again and there is NO logical reason!) and David wanted to run in another 5K, so we signed up for the 24th of July Pioneer Day Classic.  I knew that I couldn't run it alone so I asked my friend Amy to run it with me and she willingly accepted my invitation.   

Here's David just before his race began.

David's mom, and my mom and dad were in town for the event.  They all came down to cheer us on.  It was fun having people there to appreciate our efforts.

This is me at the very end of my race.  I was pretty tired!

This was the first 10K I have ever ran.  The first 2 miles were up hill and 1/4th mile of it they have nick named "Goliath!"  It's an 8% grade.  It wasn't until the night before the race when we decided to drive the race course that I became completely intimidated!  Our CAR had a hard time making it up that hill!

So on the morning of the race we got there early, stretched, hung out with some friends of ours that were also racing, and just before the gun went off I realized that I forgot to put my knee brace on.  I panicked!  I ran to the stroller franticly looking for it and it wasn't there!  The gun went off and I didn't know what to do!  I ran back over to Amy and I told her my problem and she calmly told me that I needed my brace and it was okay, our time was determined by the chip on our shoes and it was no big deal if we didn't start with the pack.  She told me to go back to the car to see if I could find it.  I RAN back to the car and finally found it.  Then I ran back to the starting line.  By this time they had already began lining the 5K runners up going the opposite direction.  In order for our chip time to start we had to run over this mat on the ground that was barricaded off.  We quickly got the attention of someone working the race and he had us go in the barricaded area, cross over the mat and then go back out and around the 5K racers to begin our race.  The whole thing was quite comical!  I swear that I always make things harder than they should be.  And how lucky am I to have such a calming influence to race with me.  She didn't get mad, she just went with the flow.  I couldn't have picked a better racing companion!  So we got off to a 5 min. delayed start and worked our tails off to try and catch up to a few racers ahead of us.  We actually passed quite a few people!

Amy Ingram and I after the race.

So when it was all said and done I ran it in 1 hour and 4 min.  I was very tired but felt very accomplished!  After the race was over this girl who races in 10K's all the time said that that was the hardest 10K course she had ever raced.  That made me feel good!  Not only did I finish it, but I finished the hardest course this chic had ever raced!  

So now I'm thinking of doing a 1/2 marathon in November.  
(Once again, don't ask me why?)

4 comments:

Mathie Fam said...

That's so awesome Steph! GOOD JOB! You're lookin' good!

Wendy said...

You did AWESOME!!!! :-)

The Cook's said...

Congrats steph!!! Way to go you are the woman!! I'm still working up to enjoying running 2-3 miles:) But do we ever enjoy it? Probably not me!!!HA HA

Jen Hakes said...

I am seriously impressed but not surprised! You're an athlete! Awesome!