Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Training update.

It occurred to me the other day that I am VERY out of shape! Now this may sound kind of funny coming from someone who just ran 8 miles, but I think it was the 8 mile run that made me realize this small and simple fact!

The thought of going out and running 3 miles is simply no big deal to me. The thought of running 4 doesn't sound as fun but still not that big of a deal. Running 5 starts to sound a little intimidating and then anything past that I tend to get a little nervous about.

So as I said before, my 7 mile run just about killed me and so I was pretty nervous about going 8. Last Thursday morning (the day after my birthday) at 5:30 Amy and I ran 8 miles! I lived through it without dying or without quitting but I can't say that I didn't want to.

I know there are lots of things I need to learn about running. I'm sure that there are tricks about hydrating that would probably help me out tremendously. I'm sure that eating birthday cake the night before a big run is probably not the kind of carb loading I've heard people talk about. I'm sure that I'm doing everything wrong when it comes to training for a half marathon, and I can also assure you that my body is feeling it and hating it, but unfortunately I don't really have a clue to what I'm actually doing. All I know for sure is that I AM TRYING TO SURVIVE!

The first 3 miles of our run was just about more than I could handle. My breathing was out of control and I wanted to quit so bad! I couldn't believe how crappy I felt. Some of the hills we ran were totally kicking my butt. These were the same hills I trained on last summer and as I thought back at the difference I felt last summer to now, I realized I am no where close to the shape I was in last summer! As I huffed and puffed I couldn't help but to question my ability to actually run a half marathon. If the first 3 miles of an 8 mile run was going to kill me, how in the heck would I ever go further? I continued on and thanks to Amy and the running water bottle she gave to me as a birthday present, and her upbeat positive attitude, somehow I made it past my breaking point and it all became doable! We completed our run in just over an hour and a half. I felt good! I felt accomplished! I even had energy!

Thank you Amy for being my running buddy! You don't know how grateful I am for your help! At the end of each of our long runs I feel as though I could cry tears of gratitude. Thank you!

6 comments:

J Shepherd Family said...

Sounds like you're a runner to me!

Sabra said...

WOW! That's all I can say.

Ingram Family said...

I would never have attempted anything like this until you put me up to the challenge! So the THANKS all goes to you! You INSPIRE me!

Staci Kramer said...

If you are out of shape, then I am practically dead. You never give yourself credit for being such an amazing athlete and such a hottie.

Staci Kramer said...

If you are out of shape, then I am practically dead. You never give yourself credit for being such an amazing athlete and such a hottie.

Jeanney said...

Keep the updates coming, I am loving every detail!!!