So I'll be the first to admit that I love to drink soda. My flavor of choice is Caffeine Free Diet Coke topped off with some fully leaded Cherry Coke! I find it an important part of my daily life to go on a "Soda Run." Though I don't always finish my soda, and my kids all think that my soda really means their soda, which really means that when I actually do finish a soda, it isn't like I really finished it... really!
Anyways, it's taken me awhile to decide weather I am more addicted to the SODA or the RUN! After lots and lots of thought, I finally decided that it's the RUN! I've formed friendships with all the employees of the soda store, it's my time of day to hang out with my good friend Shari and debrief, or in other words solve all of the worlds/wards problems. It's very therapeutic! Do you remember that show Cheers? And the theme song says something about everyone knowing your name. Yeah! That's me at the soda store! Everyone knows my name! They notice if I don't come. My friend Shari and I have always joked about how we are or rather how we should be the customers of the month... every month! We've talked about making ourselves plaques to display at the store. I mean we have our own prepaid account for Pete's sake! We don't even have to bring money into the store when we refill our drinks. They ask us, "Do you just want that put on the book?" We are even occasionally referred to as VIP's! They will say things like, "So how's our VIP today? "So all of this has brought me to the conclusion that it's the RUN!
But then I really do love the bubbly taste of that yummy soda. I find on a typical Sunday afternoon I long for a soda. I have even gone as far as making sure that Saturday night I get my refillable 44 oz. cup filled and put in the fridge for my Sunday's enjoyment. Now this behavior has brought me to believe that it just might really be an addiction of the SODA and not just an addiction of the RUN!
But then I ask myself, really what am I addicted to? I drink caffeine free for heavens sake! Is it really that last little splash of fully leaded Cherry Coke that I'm addicted to? Okay Okay so maybe I'm actually addicted to the soda! That's not so wrong! It could be worse! But really, does any of this really matter? There are lots of things worse than soda! And you know what... If I'm addicted to the soda, that's okay, I'm fine with that! If I'm addicted to the run, that's okay too! Heck I don't really care if it's a combination of the run and the soda. It's really not that bad....
But then last night in the middle of the night, my little 3 year old Talan opened my bedroom door. I looked over at the clock to see what time it was. 12:58 in the morning.
"Talan what's wrong? What do you need?"
"Mom... Yours soda?" he said it in a voice of desperation!
"Talan I don't have a soda!"
"Mom! Yours soda!"
David jumped out of bed and told Talan that he'd get him a sippy cup of water. Talan seemed okay with that and out they went.
And then I laid there thinking. Is Talan addicted to soda? Oh my gosh what have I done to him? I mean it's one thing for me to be addicted... But my 3 year old! Oh for crying out loud! So for any of you who are keeping track... Add this to the list of my many qualities that should earn me "The Mother of The Year Award".
I expect to receive it any year now!
So do you think we should have an intervention?
We could make it into a reality TV show and everything!
Think about it.. A stay at home mom's addiction alters her child's life!
Dramatic!
Na... on second thought, let's just keep this between you and me and consider it one of those really funny things that happens while raising children!
3 comments:
That happens to be my drink of choice too. It is just. plain. good. So call it addiction or whatever but I love it too!!
Very funny post! I would call it a way of life for me. I love Pepsi! My morning drive to work wouldn't be the same if I didnt have my loyal friend in the cup holder. Fabulous Freddy's has the best Pepsi and it even comes with crushed ice!! We hope you are doing ok.
Brent
I think it's your mother's fault. You had a bad example! Funny post.
Post a Comment