Friday, December 4, 2009

Oops I did it again!


Yesterday morning I told Reagan to go get in the car
because we were leaving on our morning drink run. Not that kind of drink... Caffeine Free Diet Coke topped with a little Cherry, It's my breakfast soda! Reagan said okay and ran out the door. A few minutes later I went out too. The weird thing was that she wasn't in the garage when I went out there. I lifted the garage door and her and Talan were running around on the driveway. I questioned her as to why she was out in the front of the house. She said she went out the front door instead of the garage door. I didn't think much about it other than it was weird that she went that way when she NEVER goes that way!

We had a busy day as usual. After the kids got home from school I took them to The Festival of Trees. We didn't get home until really late at night. When we got home we had the kids get ready for bed, we had family prayer and then all the kids headed to bed. Ethan headed to the basement. When he got to the bottom of the stairs he stepped into an inch of standing water! He ran upstairs to tell us and then we all ran down. David went out front and found the garden hose to be on. Who in the heck would have turned the hose on? And left it on? We all quickly started moving everything from the wet side of the basement to the dry side. The water was freezing cold and we were all barefooted. Once we got it all moved we went back upstairs to question the children. They all swore they hadn't turned the water on. I couldn't think of a time any of the kids had been outside to have turned the water on. Except for when Reagan went out for those few short minutes 12 hours ago! "Reagan, did you turn the water on today?" She looked down and shook her head no. "Reagan when we went on our drink run this morning you went out the front door. Did you turn the water on then?" She looked up and shook her head yes. "Why did you turn the water on?" She shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't know why. Oh my heck! Why???

We sent the kids to bed and called a neighbor to see if we could borrow his shop vac. He brought it over and David and I got to work. The shop vac holds 15 gallons of water. We filled it 7 times! Thats 105 gallons of water! This morning it was all pretty much dry. The house smells a little wet but it could have been worst. We could have had a finished basement! I never thought I would be grateful for an UNFINISHED basement.... but I am!

Oops I did it again! I don't know if you remember me posting about a similar experience we faced about a year and a half ago. Reagan turned the hose on in the back yard and left it running for I don't know how long. My sister Staci was here visiting and her baby was in the basement taking a nap. She went down to check on him and found water pouring into the basement from the window. That flood wasn't nearly as bad as this one but still just as equally annoying! I hope that Reagan has learned her lesson and PLEASE DONT TELL ME that this is one of those 3 times a charm things!

2 comments:

Staci Kramer said...

Insane! You guys have to find a way to prevent this if you ever do finish that basement. At least last time it was warm out. I can't imagine cleaning that wet mess up in the cold.

Shari said...

Maybe you can work part time for the disaster clean up place!