Sunday, August 14, 2011

Football Football Football

This is the time of year that football begins to consume our lives.
We eat, drink, sleep
and breath football!

And as a football mom I wouldn't want to fail to mention boiling mouth guards, taking football pads in and out and in and out over and over again, filling up water bottles, driving to and from practices, scrimmages and games, making half time posters, cutting up oranges and bananas, doing stinky laundry, reminding the boys to take a bath, and feeding hungry football playing bellies!
This year all 3 of the boys are playing football again!
David is coaching Ethan's 8th grade B team and I'm his lovely assistant side kick team mom!

Youth football is one dramatically political beast!
This year we have started our season off with more drama than usual.

A few months ago David decided that he didn't want to coach football this year. He has either assisted or head coached a team for the past 4 seasons. This year he decided that he wanted to just be a dad and equally support each of his 3 sons. This caused a little drama within the 4th grade but a new coach was found and Carsten was drafted to a really great team!

The 6th grade is 100% all drama!
Some parents think that they should be able to dictate what team their child gets drafted to. And if they don't get drafted to the team of their choosing then they can throw a big fit to the board and then the board will just cave into them and let them switch to the team of their choice.
Ludicrous I know,
but that's what happened!

Bradon was drafted to one team and then 3 days after the draft and after their first practice we received a phone call proposing a trade for Bradon to go to another team due to the fact that someone was throwing a tantrum. We gave Bradon the choice and he chose to be traded. David and I don't really care what team he plays on just as long as he has fun! So now everyone that we run into from that other team stops us to ask what happened. It's been rumored that Bradon didn't want to play for them and volunteered to be traded. It's kind of annoying that they jack us around and then we feel like we have to defend ourselves now that all has been said and done. The funny thing about this whole ordeal is that the assistant coaches on that team had no idea what had happened. The wool was pulled over their eyes and some puppet master worked his magic!

In the 8th grade the league didn't have the coach locked in that they thought they had locked in due to a lack of communication. So the day before tryouts they were sending out a mass email to all 8th grade parents desperately pleading for someone to step up to the plate and coach. Two days into tryouts they were still without a coach. The league president approached David several times asking him to take the position. David told him no. Several people approached David and then finally another father, Ben Higbee and David together decided that they could assist as offense and defense coordinators. Another father stepped up and told the league president that he didn't know much about football but was willing to take the position as head coach so that the kids could play. So it looked like everything was taken care of. They found a few more fathers to help and things were looking good. The new head coach wasn't able to go to the draft and so David and Ben went. They came away from the draft thrilled with their picks. They felt like they really picked a good team.
So the very next day was their first official team practice and that's went everything went downhill fast!
The new head coach that told the league president that he didn't really know much about football and was willing to let someone who knew more than himself take over didn't come to practice with that same attitude. He came with the 'it's my way or the highway' attitude that was extremely over the top! All the assistant coaches did one of those lay low sit back and watch to see how this was all going to play out attitudes. After voicing that he wanted to run a no huddle audible offense much like flag football, putting the boys through a few good lacrosse drills, and having all the team players go out for passes no matter their size or position, we all began to wonder what he was thinking. When practice was over and all the boys left the field, all the coaches gathered together standing in a circle. The offensive coordinator asked the head coach what kind of offense he was thinking about running. And this is how that conversation began.
The head coach responded with an angry, "I will not stand here and be bullied by you guys!" WHAT? We aren't trying to bully you! We are just wanting to know what offense you want to run! "Well just because I don't have a playbook in hand on the first day of practice... don't hold that against me! I just found out I was going to be the coach a few days ago! You can't expect me to have a playbook!" No we don't expect you to have a playbook! We're just wanting to know what offense you want to run so that we know how we can best teach and help these kids. "I want the offense to be audible!" Okay so what do you mean by audible? "I want my quarterback to go to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense and then audibly call out the play like 1 or 2. I want the quarterback to make the decision on the first two downs and if that doesn't work then we can call in the play on third down. I want to develop leaders on the field!" Okay but the second time you call out your play #1 they are going to know exactly what your going to do. "They wont figure it out by the end of the game!" Okay so where have you seen this done before? What high school, college or NFL team does this? "I don't know!" That's because NOBODY does that! "DON'T YOU TELL ME IT WONT WORK!"
Anyways after an hour and a half discussion between the offensive coordinator and the head coach about what an offense is and trying to explain why it was necessary, you could say that we were all frustrated beyond belief! We all went home with a sick feelings in the pits of our stomach knowing that something had to change!
After a weekend long series of texts and phone calls with the league president, Sunday night they all met together to discuss the issue. To make a very long story short David is now the new head coach! Not what he was wanting or hoping for but seriously the only thing fair for this cute team of 8th grade boys!
Since then everything has come together beautifully and excellent coaches have come out of the woodwork to help out! We are all very happy and excited for this upcoming season that lies ahead!

So now that we have that drama behind us I've taken it upon myself to take care of helmet decals and the last name stitching on the back of the jerseys for the entire league. Which means I'm running around collecting orders and money from all the coaches. It's crazy I know! And I know that I didn't need to get myself caught up in all this but the league has always taken care of these things for the boys and this year they didn't! I just felt like someone needed to do it and it didn't seem like anyone was so I did! Funny thing is that I've received phone calls now about equipment issues people are having as if I'm the equipment manager or something. OH NO! I'M JUST A CRAZY MOM THAT DECIDED TO TAKE MATTERS INTO MY OWN HANDS!

Like said on Forest Gump,
"Stupid is as stupid does!"
Hey, I've never claimed to be smart!

No comments: