I wonder how much of our lives are lived on auto pilot.
I most often notice I'm on auto pilot when I'm driving. Most days I drive down the hill from my house and go to the drink store (gas station/convenience store). I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself driving to the drink store when I was really suppose to be going somewhere totally different. And my only excuse is, auto pilot! Or when I'm taking someone home but then drive straight to my own house. Auto pilot!
This morning I caught myself on auto pilot while dropping Carsten off at school. I pulled into the schools load and unload zone. I put my car in park and waited for Carsten to hop out. After waiting the appropriate amount of time I put my car in drive and pulled out. As I rounded the corner getting ready to go out to the main road I heard Carsten say, "Mom! Where are you going? What are you doing?" I initially thought to myself, "I'm going home!" Then it occured to me that Carsten was still in the car! It surprised me! "Carsten why didn't you get out?" "I was putting my stuff in my backpack!" I quickly turned right instead of left out onto the main road and pulled over to let him out. "Sorry bud! Have a good day, I love you!" And then I sat there and thought to myself, "What were you thinking?" And then I realized, I wasn't thinking! I was on auto pilot!
I most often notice I'm on auto pilot when I'm driving. Most days I drive down the hill from my house and go to the drink store (gas station/convenience store). I can't tell you how many times I've caught myself driving to the drink store when I was really suppose to be going somewhere totally different. And my only excuse is, auto pilot! Or when I'm taking someone home but then drive straight to my own house. Auto pilot!
This morning I caught myself on auto pilot while dropping Carsten off at school. I pulled into the schools load and unload zone. I put my car in park and waited for Carsten to hop out. After waiting the appropriate amount of time I put my car in drive and pulled out. As I rounded the corner getting ready to go out to the main road I heard Carsten say, "Mom! Where are you going? What are you doing?" I initially thought to myself, "I'm going home!" Then it occured to me that Carsten was still in the car! It surprised me! "Carsten why didn't you get out?" "I was putting my stuff in my backpack!" I quickly turned right instead of left out onto the main road and pulled over to let him out. "Sorry bud! Have a good day, I love you!" And then I sat there and thought to myself, "What were you thinking?" And then I realized, I wasn't thinking! I was on auto pilot!
No comments:
Post a Comment