Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We invited Grandma Adair...


To live with us!

David and I have always felt that someday Jeannine would come to live with us. Since Charles passed away she has been coming to stay with us for a month here and a month there and we have absolutely loved it! Talan gets down right mad when she goes home. He doesn't understand why she has to go. He says things like, "But she has a bedroom HERE!"

On January 21st I woke up and my mind was flooded with thoughts about Jeannine and her situation. I had an overwhelming feeling that she needed to put her house on the market and start going through her things so she could move. That morning David and I decided to go to the temple. As I was sitting in the temple those same thoughts continued to flood my mind. I talked to David about it and then decided that I had better call her. We had always told Jeannine that she was more than welcome to live with us but I couldn't ever really tell what she exactly thought of the idea. She's lived in the same house for over 60 years! I'm sure the thought of moving was a little much. And not only moving, but moving out of state! We never pressed the issue, we just always welcomed her into our home whenever she wanted to come.

I called her up and told her that I thought she needed to start going through her things and get rid of some stuff. I told her that I thought she needed to put her house on the market to sell it. She responded with a, "AND WHERE WOULD I GO?" And then I proceeded to tell her all my thoughts. "Well Jeannine, you would move in with us!" I told her how much it bothers me to think of her sitting there in her house all alone. And not just being alone but feeling lonely! I personally can't think of anything worse! There is no reason for her to be there when she could be here with us. I realize that we can be a little much. But I would much rather her to be annoyed by my loud rambunctious children than to be lonely! Not to mention we love her and she still has so much influence to offer! I told her that it wouldn't be wonderful all the time but then again life isn't always wonderful. At this point in time I had no idea what to expect from her. But these were my thoughts that I felt I needed to share them with her, so I did.

After a bit of a pause she said, "Okay so if I move in with you can I finish a room in your basement for my things? I'll need a place for my books and my sewing machine and my T.V." It was as if she had already thought this through. As if she had just been waiting for a more formal invitation. And then she said that she would think about it.

A few weeks later she called to ask us if we were sure that we really wanted an old lady to come live with us. We told her that we were 100% sure and she said, "Okay because I think I found someone to buy my house." Wow that was fast!

So as of today they have made an offer on her house and she has counter offered. If they settle on a price then she will have to be out by the end of March. She has been going through all her things, giving her kids and grand kids whatever they want, and figuring out what she wants to keep. It's amazing how quick this has all taken place. The more everything falls into place the more I am convinced that this was all meant to be!

I sure hope she likes it!

1 comment:

Jen Hakes said...

How exciting! It will be a great blessing for both of you. I bed Talan can hardly sleep he's so excited.