Saturday, April 5, 2008

Charles W. Arnett 1919-2008

On March 12th I got a phone call from my sister Staci telling me that she just got word that Grandpa Arnett had passed away.  She said that he had gotten up and got dressed and was teasing grandma a little bit (just being cute with her) and then Grandma left the room for a while and when she got back he was gone.  At first I was shocked but at the same time I was not surprised. Grandpa was 88 years old and in January he had had a heart attack and they had put a pace maker in.  
I had gone to Arizona 2 1/2 weeks before this to show my baby Talan to his Grandma and Grandpa Adair.  While I was there I decided that I needed to go see grandma and grandpa Arnett to take pictures and see how they were doing.  I am so glad that I did!  Thinking back on it now, maybe the real reason for my trip to Arizona was to see Grandpa Arnett for the last time.   
They were so cute!  They were talking about dying and how they had had everything taken care of.  They had bought their caskets and Grandpa was proud that they were blue metal ones. Grandma had already made 512 dish rags to give to all those who attend her funeral.  Grandpa seemed quite proud of her accomplishment.  They were in a bit of a disagreement on where they should be buried though.  Grandma thought that they should have a military burial because it would be paid for and he would get a 21 gun salute and and american flag draped over his casket.  Grandpa said that he wanted to be buried in Franklin so that when he was resurrected the first thing he would see would be Franklin.  His eyes twinkled at the thought.  Grandma assured him that when he was resurrected all he had to do is think of where he wanted to be and he would be there so it didn't really matter where he was buried asnyways.  She said that he paid for those plots in Franklin and just doesn't want to see them go to waist!  I thought that their conversation was cute and I loved the fact that they were preparing to die and that they were almost looking forward to it.

2 comments:

milan said...

Steph. I love your blog. Get your mom to start one.

Stephanie said...

She says that she might start one this summer. We'll see!