Sunday, May 15, 2011

One year older and wiser too!

You've had a birthday shout hooray!
We want to sing to you today.
One year older and wiser too,
Happy birthday to you.

Yes it's true. I've had a birthday. I'm one year older and wiser too! Birthdays have always been something I LOVE! I love to celebrate anybody's and everybody's birthday! Even my own! Usually I plan out my birthday for weeks in advance. I know exactly what I'm going to do from sun up till sun down. I pack it in with family, friends, pampering myself, shopping, eating and having fun! If I can't fit it all into one day then I spread it out. The more days I can celebrate the better. I usually tell everyone that my special day is coming and invite them all in on the fun! Now I don't do this because I think that I'm all that and a bag of chips and that everyone cares or that they should care. And I'm not trying to solicit gifts. I'm just trying to ensure that I don't spend my birthday feeling let down, upset or depressed. But most importantly... FORGOTTEN! My mother always did a really good job about making a big fuss over my birthday. And like I've already said, I LOVE BIRTHDAYS! We all only have one day out of every year to celebrate US! And {in my opinion} we are all individually worth a little celebrating! My husband along with lots of other people I know don't necessarily think birthdays are a big deal. Nor do they think their own birthday should be fussed over. Which is all good and fine for them.... I guess. And I realize that if I had that frame of mind that birthday's aren't important, then I wouldn't ever have to worry about being forgotten or having a crappy birthday because it wouldn't really matter, it just wouldn't be a BIG DEAL, it would be just like any other day! But I can't bring myself to feel this way! Nor can I really believe that these "birthday's are no big deal" people, really aren't secretly wanting their special day to be just that... "SPECIAL!"

Anyways with all that being said, I have to confess that this year was different. I didn't tell people. I didn't plan the day out. I didn't look forward to it. I wanted it to be special but couldn't bring myself to go through the process to ensure that it would be. My birthday came and it wasn't bad... It was just different! And I'm not convinced that it was IT that was different. I think that it was ME that was different. This birthday has brought on thoughts of reflection and it has occurred to me that I am having a midlife crisis! This past year has been the year of fixing anything and everything that could possibly be bothering me or be broken! If it's broke, FIX IT! That's my motto! So let's see, I've had my tonsils removed, I've gotten braces on my teeth, I'm getting a tooth implant, and I've had my boobs chopped off! I have gone on medications for ADD, depression, and low thyroid. It has seriously been the year of going to DOCTORS and pleading with them... FIX ME! I ran 2 half marathons last year and I'm now planning on training for a full marathon this year. If these aren't all symptoms of a midlife crisis then I don't know what is.

So I guess this should all make me happy because the worst of it MUST be behind me by now. I should be pretty well fixed! RIGHT? So HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! Here's to a new year! The year of being 38! I still have 2 full years of living before turning the BIG 40! That in itself should be reason to celebrate!... Right?

One year older and wiser too?
YES!

One year older and wiser too!
Happy Birthday to ME!

2 comments:

Jen Hakes said...

A very HAPPY birthday to you Steph! Come on over to my house, we celebrate BIG too! I'll treat ya right! I'm with you, I'm in the "fix me" mode right now too. Lots of shopping to put a band aid on things. Welcome to my world of braces. Hopefully yours won't be on as long as mine have been. 2 1/2 years and counting. One good thing is that people say I look younger with them. Maybe I'll never get them off :)

Shari said...

I know it has been a tough year but you are still really funny, a great friend, and a super room mom. You are a lot more and don't forget it. Hey you even cooked salmon!