Thursday, September 4, 2008

CAKES.....


I just thought that I would post some of the cakes that I have decorated.  I have decorated more than this I just can't seem to find where the pictures are.  I pretty much always buy the cakes from Costco or a local grocery store and then bring them home and decorate them myself.  I think that Costco/grocery stores can make a much better cake than I can and then I can decorate the cake to my specific theme.  I love themes!  So here they are in no specific order.  Oh yeah by the way, this cake decorating thing started because I had a store decorate Reagan's 1st birthday cake and I thought that it was awful!  The first thing I thought  when I saw it was, "I could do better than this!"  So I have decorated all my kids birthday cakes ever since.  In my opinion there is nothing worst than paying good money for something that you could do better yourself.

Ethan's 10 birthday.  A Harry Potter party!

Reagan's 4th birthday.  Strawberry shortcake!

Reagan's 3rd birthday.  Pink Princess!

Bradon's 8th birthday.  A paintball party!

Carsten's 6th birthday.  Bowling!

Bradon's baptism cake.

Ethan's 9th birthday.  Stitch... we went to Disney on Ice.

Just a Christmas cake I made for the ward Christmas party.

Blue and Gold..... Aloha theme!

Also for Blue and Gold.

Heidi and RuthAnn's birthdays.  The Brats theme!  The funny thing is that they both hate Brats!  This cake Kelli helped me with.  I was teaching her how to decorate cakes.  This cake was very detailed and I'm still not sure what to think of it!

Kelli's 18th birthday. She was a cheerleader in high school and just about to start at BYU!

I didn't do this one by myself.  I was teaching Heidi how to decorate cakes and so we did it together.  It was for her twins, Luke and Vanessa's 1st birthday.

Lone Peak Football.  Go Knights!  This was for the end of the year football party!

Bradon and Carsten had a combined birthday party.  Bradon wanted a "BALL" party and Carsten wanted a "BATMAN" party.  So we compromised and had a "BAT & BALL" party!

Reagan's 2nd birthday.  A monkey theme!

We had a "We live in Utah now" party.  We invited all of our friends from Arizona who have moved here to Utah.  It was fun!
 
The Haws Family Reunion cake.  
Grandma and Grandpa Haws were apple farmers.

So there you have it!  A collection of cakes!  I can pretty much put any picture (animated/clip art) on a cake.  It's not too hard to do and I think that anyone can do it.  Of course not everyone is into the star tip look but I think it gets the job done!

12 comments:

♥ Michele ♥ said...

Those cakes are SO DARLING!! I have decorated a few cakes in my day but nothing like this!! Your way also saves a lot of money on all those expensive shaped cake pans. I really loved that little princess cake for Reagan's party. Callie's birthday is next month, I might have to come over for a lesson!

Alice Jane said...

Hey! Lilly is having a birthday party this weekend. I would love to decorate the cake. Do you think I can do it? I want to do one like the princess one you did. How do you do it? Do you have a pattern? If I ask Costco, will they make it without all of their decoration?

Can you email me soon about this? I really want to make Lilly's. I think I will have to make it tomorrow.

Love,
Alice

Lindsay said...

Thanks for putting these on here. So cute! It brings back all the memories that I had when I ate some of these cakes. THANKS! I want a piece of cake now.

Sabra said...

You are so great!

milan said...

you are such a talented girl. This blog sure makes it easier for you not being here. I sure love you and your herd. love Milan.

The Hendricks Family said...

Wow, I had know idea you had such a great talent. I have always wanted to take a cake decorating class. I am impressed the cakes are all darling.

Mendy said...

You are so talented! I love those cakes. So how do you get the picture or template to do the cake? Do you freehand the whole thing? Dang, I love that paintball cake! I would hire you to decorate my cakes any day! You are so much better than most!

Slades said...

super super cute. You are so talented! I want to learn to! Do you somehow trace it on?

Anonymous said...

I think this might have been a dangerous thing to do. Now your secret is out and you are going to have the entire town breaking down your door and ringing your phone off the hook to get your help on cakes. But maybe this could turn into a business. "Steph's Sugar Shack". You could sell your candy and cookies. But that would be dangerous for you in a whole different way. I love your cakes. I am so glad you taught me before you left this dirt hole.

Anonymous said...

What the heck! you got your hair done. I love it! Did you permantly straighten it? It looks like highlights too. I love it.

Rachel said...

Love Love LOVE your cakes! You are amazing!

Julie said...

Hi my name is Julie Skousen and was told to check out your cakes from someone looking at your blog (Leslie Smith) we are both friends of Michele Gledhills. Anyway, I am very impressed. I also make cakes but only do it with the shaped character pans and then fill in with the stars. So my question to you is how do you get your patterns on your cakes? Do you freehand it or I know one technique is to trace it on wax paper with frosting and then transfer it to the cake that way. Is that what you do? Can you write me back and tell me your technique. They are absolutely darling!! Thanks, Julie
skousenfamily@gmail.com