When Harriet prepares a meal, it’s a masterpiece. Her cuisine is as wide-ranging as the world, and she frequently prepares dishes from countries we have visited. The presentation of the food is awe inspiring. In fact, it often looks so beautiful that it seems a crime to eat it. It’s as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the sense of taste.
But sure enough, no matter how perfect everything is, looks, and tastes, Harriet will apologize for something she thinks is imperfect. “I’m afraid I used a touch too much ginger,” she will say, or, “Next time, I think it would be better if I used a little more curry and one additional bay leaf.”
Let me contrast that with the way I cook. For the purpose of this talk, I asked Harriet to tell me what I cook best.
Her answer: fried eggs.
Sunny-side up.
But that isn’t all. I have a specialty dish called Knusperchen. The name may sound like a delicacy you might find at an exclusive restaurant. Let me share with you how to make it. You cut French bread into small slices and toast them twice.
That is the recipe!
So, between fried eggs, even when they are greasy, and Knusperchen, even when they are burned, when I cook,I feel pretty heroic."
Well I made my own homemade bread today and I feel pretty heroic!
I, unlike Sister Uchdorf am not that great of a cook. I love to make treats but cooking has never been my thing. I am intimidated by cooking for some reason. Baking bread has always intimidated me too! Everyone tells me that it is easy but I have always been afraid to try. Well, I'm pleased to announce that I have made my own bread! My friend had me come to her house and she taught me how to make 4 loaves of bread in 1 hour. I am so excited that I can call myself a bread maker now!
4 comments:
I think you are intimidated by cooking because mom hates to cook and never did it much. I think you are a good cook though. Everything I have ever seen you make was wonderful. This bread looks so good. Did you use a bosch or some kind of mixer? You should post the recipe!
mmmmmm....mmmmmm....good I think I can even smell the aroma of fresh backed bread clear down here....Congratulations Stephanie it looks great!
Ummmm that should have been baked don't know how that "c" slipped in there.
Way to go Stephanie! It sure looks yummy!
Post a Comment