Monday, April 27, 2009

What's a mom to do?


Anyone that knows me well knows that there are a few things I have a hard time relaxing about.  Unfortunately one of them is NOT about having a clean house!  
One is about having thing ironed... I know, kind of weird but clothes just feel and look so much better ironed!  Most mornings I wake up and iron my kids clothes plus my own.  In fact Reagan now prefers the feel of nice ironed clothes too!  
And the other is about my kids having their hair done... I don't think that this is all that weird!  In fact I think that this is quite normal.  It drives my kids CrAzY though!  But I don't care, get your hair done before leaving the house and we wont have any problems!  (And for some reason this doesn't apply to me... just my kids!  I can go anywhere looking like crap and I'm totally okay with it!)  I have to say though, in the last few months I have relaxed an extreme amount on both ironing and making my kids get their hair done!  I don't know why, I just have!

Reagan is so flippin cute... but that hair!

Reagan is getting to an age where she wants to do her own hair.  And I'm not so sure what I think about this!
She's always re spraying her hair with a water bottle and putting things in it.  It's actually quite cute!  I think that I'm glad that she wants to learn how to do her own hair.  However, when it's time to go somewhere (anywhere outside of our home) I really want to redo it and make it a little more presentable if you know what I mean!  
So what's a mom to do?  
Do I leave it alone and let her go with her "own" do.  Or do I somehow figure out a way to get her to let me fix it?  I mean I want her to feel good about her hair accomplishments but I also want her to look good.  And when she does it herself it doesn't always look so good.

Today before preschool Reagan informed me that she was going to do her own hair.  These are pictures of the finished product.  I decided to let her go with her "OWN" do!  It was almost all I could do to leave it alone... And then I caved!  I figured out a way for her to let me fix it just a little bit before her ride showed up to take her to school! 
 
Is there something wrong with me or is this normal?   
Am I a control freak or am I just looking out for my child and her best interest?

I don't know!  Mom of girls, help me out with this one.  What do I do?

6 comments:

Sabra said...

I was just talking about this in my testimony I shared last month. Often times, doing my girls' hair is our only one on one time. Now, they are getting older and want to do their own hair, and I am really missing our time. They are pretty patient with me. Generally, I get to do their hair. I have come to realize it's a privelege now, and I really appreciate it more!

Jen Hakes said...

I have been there many times! Now I let them do what they want unless we are going somewhere that deserves a little more formality like church and family pictures. They don't seem to mind me doing it once in a while for a special occasion. Once you let go and give it a while, you'll be surprised how nice it is not to have to worry about it. Maybe it's just a phase she's going through. Good luck!

Melissa Farr said...

Hi Stephanie- I thought we would let you know that we started a family blog. Check it out and see how big the bos have grown. It's amazing. Melissa

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

I laughed so hard at this post because not 2 minutes before reading it Brent called..."Have you ever forgotten to do Gavin's hair before school??"
Gavin has hair that ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to be done! His head is odd shaped and his hair is so thick that it stands straight up in EVERY direction. I think he must do that break dance move in his sleep.
I can't wait to get home from work and see how my handsome child looked for 6 hours of school today! :)

♥ Michele ♥ said...

Hey, Reagan on her worst hair day is Callie on her BEST hair day! I think she did a pretty good job! My daugther doesn't have hair so I don't really have the girl hair problem! I just keep it cut short, brush curl and go! :)

Jeannine Adair said...

You are so lucky Reagan, you have a mother to teach you how to do your hair. I didn't have anyone to teach me. Oh, maybe my daddy and brothers.