Friday, July 29, 2011

Carsten's got braces!


A few months ago at the kids dentist appointment the dentist informed me that Bradon and Carsten are missing permanent teeth. {Just like me!} I decided right there and then that I was going to make them appointments with the orthodontist so that we could come up with a game plan. {Because heaven help me these kids are going to get this taken care of the right way in the first place so they don't have to relive my stupid white trash tooth horrifying experience in first person!} I took them into Dr. Fairbanks office and he said that Bradon's teeth were fine for now but recommended that Carsten get phase 1 braces right now and then phase 2 braces once all of his permanent teeth have grown in. Because his baby tooth that doesn't have a permanent tooth above it has fallen out already his mid line has shifted over to fill that space. He said that it's a lot easier to move his mid line back now than to wait until he's older. Not to mention that he looks kind of silly with his front tooth way off over to the side.

So we took him in earlier this summer and he had an expander put in. We cranked the expander everyday for 21 days and then went back in for a check up. We turned the expander 10 more times and then this past Tuesday he had his phase 1 braces put on. He has 7 brackets in all. They are going to move his mid line back and then glue a permanent retainer in behind his two front teeth to hold them in place. He will get his phase 1 braces off in about 6-9 months but keep his expander in. When he is older and all of his permanent teeth are in he will then get a full set of braces making the proper spacing for an implant. When everything is good to go he'll get a flipper retainer with a fake tooth on it to wear until he goes in for a tooth implant at age 18. So if everything goes according to plan by the time he leaves on him mission his teeth will be perfect!

Carsten is pretty excited for the process. Having braces is so GROWN UP if you know what I mean. Well except for when your 38 like me. This doesn't feel very grown up at all!

The most exciting thing about having braces is that you get to choose your own rubber band colors. Since Carsten is really into fashion and looking COOL this was an important decision! He was deciding between hot pink and black, black and yellow, and red and black. Since football season has now officially began he finally decided on RED and BLACK to strut his American Fork Caveman pride! Go Cavemen!

3 comments:

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

OUCH!!! I hated braces. The day after I got mine on I ripped them off with wire cutters...I was not a good patient!
Savanna gets hers on this month...she is so excited. We will see how long that lasts! It is all worth it in the end...I am so thankful for beautiful straight teeth.

Alice Jane said...

Now we know which side of the family missing teeth comes from...I'm missing 4 adult teeth too. Braces are such a blessing to those of us who are toothless! :)

Sabra said...

We have suffered greatly with this dang baby tooth syndrome. I'm glad you are nipping this in the bud.